Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day 156 Psalm 25-27 Supplemental notes

Psalm Chapter 25
King David (see also Israelite Monarchy - The Origin, The Civil War and The United Kingdom) was often a man of war, but at the same time he was a man seeking peace with God through true repentance. Every genuine Christian knows the "heart" of David's "Make me to know Thy ways, O Lord; teach me Thy paths. Lead me in Thy truth, and teach me, for Thou art the God of my salvation; for Thee I wait all the day long. Be mindful of Thy mercy, O Lord, and of Thy steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth, or my transgressions."
The Ten Commandments
"A Psalm of David. To thee, O Lord, I lift up my soul [see Where Is Your Soul?; also The Spirit Of God]. O my God, in Thee I trust, let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me. Yea, let none that wait for Thee be put to shame; let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.
Make me to know Thy ways, O Lord; teach me Thy paths. Lead me in Thy truth, and teach me, for Thou art the God of my salvation [see Salvation Unto All That Obey Him and The Way To Salvation]; for Thee I wait all the day long. Be mindful of Thy mercy, O Lord, and of Thy steadfast love, for they have been from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth, or my transgressions; according to Thy steadfast love remember me, for Thy goodness' sake, O Lord!
Good and upright [see The Lord's Plumb Line] is the Lord; therefore He instructs sinners [see What Is Sin?] in the way. He leads the humble [see The Two Kinds Of Pride] in what is right, and teaches the humble His way. All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep His covenant and His testimonies [see Covenant and Testament]. For Thy name's sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt [see Your Pardon], for it is great. Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him will He instruct in the way that he should choose. He himself shall abide in prosperity, and his children shall possess the land. The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear Him, and He makes known to them His covenant. My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for He will pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn Thou to me, and be gracious to me; for I am lonely and afflicted. Relieve the troubles of my heart [see Trials and Tribulations], and bring me out of my distresses. Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins. Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me. Oh guard my life, and deliver me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in Thee [see Where Is Your Place Of Safety?]. May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for Thee [see To Meet The Lord In The Air]. Redeem Israel [see Physical and Spiritual Israel], O God, out of all his troubles." (Psalm 25:1-22 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 26
Although some regard this psalm of David to be "boastful" or "self righteous," David was actually speaking of his determination to do all of those things right. David's "Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity" is a plain statement that David was asking for forgiveness. Vindicate means to excuse (not to make an excuse).
Passover In Egypt
"A Psalm of David. Vindicate me, O Lord, for I have walked in my integrity, and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind [see Glass Houses]. For Thy steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in faithfulness to Thee. I do not sit with false men, nor do I consort with dissemblers; I hate the company of evildoers, and I will not sit with the wicked. I wash my hands in innocence, and go about thy altar, O Lord, singing aloud a song of thanksgiving, and telling all thy wondrous deeds. O Lord, I love the habitation of thy house, and the place where thy glory dwells.
Sweep me not away with sinners, nor my life with bloodthirsty men, men in whose hands are evil devices, and whose right hands are full of bribes. But as for me, I walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me. My foot stands on level ground; in the great congregation I will bless the Lord." (Psalm 26:1-12 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 27
David's "that I may dwell in the house of the Lord" was speaking of the eternal home (see the Fact Finder question below) that is coming for those who repent. Jesus Christ referred to it as "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also." (John 14:2-3 RSV; see Mansions)
Zion
"A Psalm of David. The Lord is my light [see The Light Of Life] and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me, uttering slanders against me, my adversaries and foes, they shall stumble and fall. Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.
One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His Temple [see Physical and Spiritual Temples]. For He will hide me in His shelter [see Sanctuary] in the day of trouble; He will conceal me under the cover of His tent [see Pavilions; also The Trysting Tent], He will set me high upon a rock. And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies round about me; and I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! Thou hast said, "Seek ye my face." My heart says to thee, "Thy face, Lord, do I seek." Hide not Thy face from me. Turn not Thy servant away in anger, Thou who hast been my help. Cast me not off, forsake me not, O God of my salvation! For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me up. Teach me Thy way, O Lord; and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Give me not up to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and they breathe out violence.
I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! [see Born Again, How and When?] Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yea, wait for the Lord!" (Psalm 27:1-14 RSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment