Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 167 Psalm 60-62 Supplemental notes

Psalm Chapter 60
The "according to Shushan Eduth" in this Psalm is an obvious musical term "to the choirmaster." It literally means "lily of the testimony" and most likely refers to a musical instrument that may have been shaped like a lily, either stringed or trumpet-like - or possibly even the music of another composition with a "lily" title (i.e. "to the tune of Lilies"). It is referred to "according to Lilies" in Psalm 45:1 and 69:1 (RSV).
The Salt Sea
"To the choirmaster: according to Shushan Eduth. A Miktam of David; for instruction; when he strove with Aram-naharaim and with Aram-zobah, and when Joab on his return killed twelve thousand of Edom in the Valley of Salt [see The Salt Sea]. O God, Thou hast rejected us, broken our defenses; Thou hast been angry; oh, restore us. Thou hast made the land to quake [see Earthquake!], Thou hast rent it open; repair its breaches, for it totters. Thou hast made Thy people suffer hard things; Thou hast given us wine to drink that made us reel. Thou hast set up a banner for those who fear Thee, to rally to it from the bow. [Selah]
That Thy beloved may be delivered, give victory by Thy right hand and answer us! God has spoken in His sanctuary: "With exultation I will divide up Shechem and portion out the Vale of Succoth. Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim is my helmet [i.e. the northern section of Israel that after David's time of The United Kingdom later became the separate northern kingdom of "Israel" - see The Division Of Israel and The Northern Kingdom]; Judah [i.e. in David's time the southern area of the land of Israel, that later became the separate southern kingdom of "Judah" - see The Southern Kingdom] is my scepter. Moab is my washbasin; upon Edom I cast my shoe [Moab and Edom were conquered territories east and south of Israel ruled by David and later his son Solomon - see Solomon's Kingdom]; over Philistia [e.g. see Gath of the Philistines] I shout in triumph."
Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me to Edom? Hast Thou not rejected us, O God? Thou dost not go forth, O God, with our armies. O grant us help against the foe, for vain is the help of man! With God we shall do valiantly; it is He who will tread down our foes." (Psalm 60:1-12 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 61
David's "May he be enthroned for ever before God" in this Psalm was not speaking merely of David because David well knew Who the King of Israel, and the world, will always be (see Israelite Monarchy - The Messiah).
Earth
"To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm of David. Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer [see also The House Of Prayer Of All Nations]; from the end of the earth I call to Thee, when my heart is faint. Lead Thou me to the rock that is higher than I; for Thou art my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.
Let me dwell in Thy tent for ever! Oh to be safe [see Where Is It Safe?] under the shelter of Thy wings! [Selah]
For Thou, O God, hast heard my vows, Thou hast given me the heritage of those who fear Thy Name [see What Is God's Name?].
Prolong the life of the king; may his years endure to all generations! May he be enthroned for ever before God; bid steadfast love and faithfulness watch over him!
So will I ever sing praises to Thy name, as I pay my vows day after day." (Psalm 61:1-8 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 62
David spoke often of his "soul," always in a physical sense because he knew exactly where the "spirit" in man comes from (see Giving Up The Ghost and The Spirit Of God).
Jerusalem
"To the choirmaster: according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress [see Fortress of Zion and Zionism]; I shall not be greatly moved.
How long will you set upon a man to shatter him, all of you, like a leaning wall, a tottering fence? They only plan to thrust him down from his eminence. They take pleasure in falsehood. They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse. [Selah]
For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. [Selah]
Men of low estate are but a breath, men of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath [see No Class Struggles In Christianity]. Put no confidence in extortion, set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God; and that to Thee, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For Thou dost requite a man according to his work." (Psalm 62:1-12 RSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment