Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 161 Psalm 41-44 Supplemental notes

Psalm Chapter 40
David's "Then I said, "Lo, I come; in the roll of the book it is written of me; I delight to do Thy will, O my God; Thy law is within my heart" of Psalm 40:7-8 is directly Messianic in spoken words and fulfillment i.e. "Consequently, when Christ came into the world, He said, "Sacrifices and offerings thou hast not desired, but a body hast thou prepared for me; in burnt offerings and sin offerings thou hast taken no pleasure. Then I said, 'Lo, I have come to do thy will, O God,' as it is written of me in the roll of the book" (Hebrews 10:5-7 RSV). See also Aliyya and Haftara.
The Synagogue At Capernaum
"To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for The Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their Trust in The Lord.
Blessed is the man who makes The Lord his trust, who does not turn to the proud [see The Two Kinds Of Pride], to those who go astray after false gods! Thou hast multiplied, O Lord my God, Thy wondrous deeds and Thy thoughts toward us; none can compare with Thee! Were I to proclaim and tell of them, they would be more than can be numbered.
Sacrifice and offering Thou dost not desire; but Thou hast given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering Thou hast not required. Then I said, "Lo, I come; in the roll of the book it is written of me; I delight to do Thy will, O my God; Thy law is within my heart." I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great Congregation; lo, I have not restrained my lips, as Thou knowest, O Lord. I have not hid Thy saving help within my heart, I have spoken of Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation; I have not concealed Thy steadfast love and Thy faithfulness from the great congregation.
Do not Thou, O Lord, withhold Thy mercy from me, let Thy steadfast love and Thy faithfulness ever preserve me! For evils have encompassed me [see Compass] without number; my iniquities have overtaken me, till I cannot see; they are more than the hairs of my head; my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me! O Lord, make haste to help me! Let them be put to shame and confusion altogether who seek to snatch away my life; let them be turned back and brought to dishonor who desire my hurt! Let them be appalled because of their shame who say to me, "Aha, Aha!" But may all who seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee; may those who love Thy salvation [see Salvation For All Nations] say continually, "Great is The Lord!"
As for me, I am poor and needy; but the Lord takes thought for me. Thou art my help and my deliverer; do not tarry, O my God!" (Psalm 40:1-17 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 41
David's "deliver us from evil" theme in many of his Psalms is also directly Christian; the "Lord's Prayer" includes those very words i.e. "Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come [see The Throne Of God, From Heaven To Earth]. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil." (Matthew 6:9-13 RSV). A prophecy of Judas (see also Was Judas Necessary?) is also found in Psalm 41:9 i.e. "Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted, who ate of my bread, has lifted his heel against me" - which Jesus Christ spoke "live" when it was fulfilled i.e. "I am not speaking of you all; I know whom I have chosen; it is that the scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me." (John 13:18 RSV).
Snake
"To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. Blessed is he who considers the poor! [see No Class Struggles In Christianity] The Lord delivers him in the day of trouble [see also Trials and Tribulations]; The Lord protects him and keeps him alive; he is called blessed in the land; Thou dost not give him up to the will of his enemies. The Lord sustains him on his sickbed; in his illness Thou healest all his infirmities.
As for me, I said, "O Lord, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against Thee!" My enemies say of me in malice: "When will he die, and his name perish?" [see also The Warning About "Grievous Wolves"] And when one comes to see me, he utters empty words, while his heart gathers mischief; when he goes out, he tells it abroad.
All who hate me whisper [see The Whisperer] together about me; they imagine the worst for me. They say, "A deadly thing has fastened upon him; he will not rise again from where he lies." Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted, who ate of my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
But do Thou, O Lord, be gracious to me, and raise me up, that I may requite them! By this I know that Thou art pleased with me, in that my enemy has not triumphed over me. But Thou hast upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in Thy presence for ever.
Blessed be The Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen." (Psalm 41:1-13 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 42
There are eleven psalms dedicated to "the sons of Korah" who were a division of Levites for singing i.e. "And the Levites, of the Kohathites and the Korahites, stood up to praise The Lord, the God of Israel, with a very loud voice" (2 Chronicles 20:19 RSV). A "Maskil" was the term used for a song that had a moral lesson.
King David leading The Ark
"To the choirmaster. A Maskil of the Sons of Korah. As a hart longs for flowing streams, so longs my soul [see Where Is Your Soul? and The Spirit Of God] for Thee, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me continually, "Where is your God?" These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God. My soul is cast down within me, therefore I remember Thee from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep at the Thunder of Thy cataracts; all Thy waves and Thy billows have gone over me.
By day The Lord commands His steadfast love; and at night His song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God, my rock: "Why hast Thou forgotten me? Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries [see Adversary] taunt me, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?"
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him [see Resurrections], my help and my God." (Psalm 42:1-11 RSV)
Psalm Chapter 43
The principle of No Pain, No Gain applies to Christian Living because The Way To Salvation is a journey in which effort is required.
Life
"Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people; from deceitful and unjust men deliver me! For Thou art the God in whom I take refuge [see Sanctuary]; why hast Thou cast me off? Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? Oh send out Thy light and Thy truth [see Awaken To The Light]; let them lead me, let them bring me to Thy holy hill [see Who, What or Where Is Zion?] and to Thy dwelling! Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy; and I will praise Thee with the lyre, O God, my God. Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my help and my God." (Psalm 43:1-5 RSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment